Last night Lifetime premiered the first part of the “Surviving R. Kelly” docuseries and social media had a lot to say.
If you missed night one of the “Surviving R. Kelly” series on Lifetime then we have a lot to talk about. It was full of scandalous tidbits that set social media ablaze. It’s safe to say the rest of this doc will probably do the same but we before we get into public opinion, check out everything we learned from the first episode below:
1. R. Kelly was allegedly molested by a family member from the age of seven until his early teens.
2. Jovante Cunningham claims he saw a 15-year-old Aaliyah and an overage R. Kelly having sex in 1994 on his tour bus.
3. R. Kelly’s manager Demetrius Smith admitting to forging documents so that Aaliyah and R. Kelly could get married. At the time, Aaliyah was 15 posing as an 18-year-old so that she could wed a 27-year-old R. Kelly.
4. The marriage was short-lived. They got annulled after two months and R. Kelly paid Aaliyah’s parents so that they wouldn’t sue.
5. Aspiring singer Lizzette Martinez and R. Kelly’s ex-wife Andrea Kelly both claim to have suffered physical and mental abuse at the hands of the R&B singer.
6. Music producer Craig Williams claims he witnessed R. Kelly engage in sexual acts with multiple underage women.
Catch Influencer reactions below and hit us up on social media @trendallday to let us know your thoughts:
Me after watching surviving r kelly pic.twitter.com/UIjZz0kb2E
— The Mad King (@Kingkeraun) January 4, 2019
If you are still stepping in the name of love after this documentary, go on and step your way right to hell. We knew R. Kelly was a predator but now it has been explicitly laid out. If you associate with him you are no better than him
— roxane gay (@rgay) January 4, 2019
I don’t have the words to adequately describe what it’s like to see people defend R. Kelly and do it so stridently.
— deray (@deray) January 4, 2019
Watching men with daughters make excuses for R Kelly is sketchy to me.
— Are You Valet? (@ScottieBeam) January 4, 2019
R Kelly advocacy not the hill to die on champ 💀
— brandon / jinx (@Jersey_Jinx) January 4, 2019
The three types of R. Kelly denial:
1) It wasn’t rape, he was just doing what men do and these lil “hoes” should have known better
2) the women are lying for attention/revenge
3) R Kelly is being framed by a nefarious government entity pic.twitter.com/XoTUeHY5GX
— elexus jionde. (@Lexual__) January 4, 2019
I knew R. Kelly had the biggest enablers around him when years ago I saw him playing a pickup game of basketball with his crew & they weren't even guarding him – just letting him drive to the hole every time. He was dunking, smacking boards etc. They were missing shots on purpose
— Andrew Barber (@fakeshoredrive) January 4, 2019
Also while I’m here fuck R. Kelly and anybody who feels a need to defend him or play “devil’s advocate” or any of that bullshit
— the boy. (@MichellCClark) January 4, 2019
I watched part of that R. Kelly documentary pic.twitter.com/mC3kue7VVU
— antonio (@antoniodelotero) January 4, 2019